Maintaining excellent oral health for your pets is a major component to their overall physical health. As plaque and tartar accumulate, irritation of the gums (gingivitis) results. Inflamed gums are more prone to bleeding and this bleeding is a perfect pathway for the introduction of bacteria into the bloodstream. The bacteria from the mouth can have serious effects on vital organs such as the heart, liver and kidneys.
Our entire staff wants to provide the highest quality dental care for your pet. We have a dedicated dental suite where we perform routine and complex dental procedures.
The doctor and veterinary technician work as a team during your pet’s dental procedure. Similar to veterinarians, our dental technicians have attended continuing education and participated in hands on dental procedures training. The doctor is in charge of the anesthetic plan, interpreting x-rays, and making the treatment plan. The dental technician runs and monitors your pet’s anesthesia, does the teeth cleaning, takes x-rays and does treatments such as tooth extractions under the direction and supervision of the doctor.
What you and your pet can expect during a dental cleaning at Elliott Bay:
- Admit appointment with a veterinarian
- Pre-anesthetic bloodwork
- Pre and post operative anti-inflammatory/pain medication and antibiotics if necessary
- IV fluids
- Heart rate monitoring
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Body temperature monitoring
- Tartar removal
- Gum evaluation (checking for pockets or loose teeth)
- Ultrasonic scaling
- Polishing of the teeth
- Oravet application if requested
- Digital radiographs if necessary
- Routine to complex extractions if needed
- Recovery in our Intensive Care Unit
- Complimentary nail trim
- Complimentary anal gland expression
- Veterinarian or technician discharge instruction
- Home dental care instructions and samples.
We offer complimentary dental evaluations with one of our technicians. Schedule your pet’s dental evaluation today!