The practice of veterinary medicine began at our present location just after the end of World War II. In 1945, the practice was started by Dr. Tom Guilfoil. When the war ended, Dr. Guilfoil originally from Kansas decided to start his veterinary practice in Seattle Washington. They found a vacant grocery store building at our present location and remodeled it into a veterinary hospital. They called it Guilfoil Animal Hospital. That name remained until Dr. Guilfoil’s retirement in 1975.
In 1957, Dr. Stanley B. Coe joined the practice after graduating from the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. At that time, the building that housed the practice was about one-fourth its present size. Upon Dr. Guilfoil’s retirement, Dr. Coe purchased his interest in the practice and the name became Elliott Bay Animal Hospital.
In 1975, Dr. John C. Kelly joined Dr. Coe in the practice and later became a full partner in 1980. Dr. Coe remained an active owner until November 2002 when he retired. Today, Dr. Kelly is the sole owner of the practice and full-time veterinarian.
Over the years, Elliott Bay Animal Hospital has grown tremendously. The facility has undergone several remodels. The physical building has quadrupled in size and work force has expanded to 45-48 employees including 7 associate veterinarians.